Motivation. This is a term we are all very familiar with, am I correct? Yes, we all face days where it is hard to get anything done, but we have to find the motivation to do it somewhere and somehow. Just because you may be having an “off day” does not mean the world will stop spinning. It keeps moving and life goes on. So where do you find motivation when all you may want to do on a Monday is lay around on the couch catching up on Jersey Shore episodes you may have missed?
Here are the steps I take when I need to be motivated. I hope you find them helpful!
- Get out of the house. As a student you may call your house your dorm room, and you may have a desk to sit at, but get out of your house/room and go somewhere else to work! While I do love working from home when I can it can also cause me to not get anything completed. Personally, I find home to have to many distractions, so I have to go to my office (Catamount Communications has a student office on campus and I definitely take advantage of this!) or Starbucks on campus to get anything done. You can also go to your campus library or public library. I know that always, without doubt, motivates me to get things done! Find the place that is best suited for you and get some work done.
- Conferences. While you may not be able to attend every single conference that comes along, pick a few to go to. Being around other students and professionals that share the same passion as you will put you in the mindset to get things accomplished, and fast. I attended Real World PR 2011 this past Friday and I can definitely tell you I am way more motivated this week than I was last week. Conferences, in a way, are a friendly reminder that all of your hard work while in college will pay off. Networking with fellow students and PR professionals helps me become more motivated and stay motivated.
- Read. Google Reader is probably my top favorite thing in the world. I have every blog that I love to read on my Google Reader and I set aside a time at night to read all of the blogs I love. I read the news in the morning and while I am out in town I pick up a copy of the local newspaper. Reading other blogs and the news makes me more motivated. I have created a whole new plan for my blog this past weekend, because if other people can find time to write three or four blog posts a week, so can I! However, do not just stick to reading the news and blogs. Read books as well! I am currently reading Twitter Power by Joel Comm and I love it! Yes, as a student you are required to read your textbook(s) for class, but set time aside to read a book you want to read as well.
- Time management. Let’s face it. Time management is a difficult thing to balance, but when you find a good balance stick with it! I am currently reorganizing my priorities so I can get more things accomplished in a timely manner. I do not have classes on Monday, Wednesday or Friday each week, so I have plenty of time on these days to fill with meetings, office hours, homework, etc. At the beginning of this semester I made a schedule for myself just for these days so I can get things done. Trust me, it is tempting to lay in bed all day, but I choose not to do that. I wake up around 9 a.m. and read the news and plan out my day. This keeps me in a motivated mindset.
- Positive attitude is key. Last, but not least: stay positive! Do not think of your growing to-do list as a chore. Think of it as a reward. When you complete the things on your to-do list reward yourself to something you like: movie at Redbox, mani/pedi, dinner with friends at your favorite restaurant, etc. This helps to keep me motivated! Knowing that I am getting a reward (even if it is me rewarding myself) keeps me in a positive attitude! Also, set goals and have rewards for each goal that you accomplish. Just remember to stay positive and remind yourself that you can do it!
While I have many more things I could share with you on how I stay motivated, these are my top steps. Hopefully these steps will help you stay motivated when you need it. I know these things definitely help me to stay motivated!
What are ways that you stay motivated? Do you have a weekly/daily routine?