Wonder is a Wonderful Thing

I am finally jumping on the bandwagon and participating in #reverb10. I have read so many great entries, so here goes with my first one.

The prompt today is wonder. To me, wonder is equal to “what if.” I am, and have always been, a “what if” person. This is not something I am very proud of, but I must say it has helped me view many situations in depth before making a decision.

The way that I have cultivated a sense of wonder in my life this year is through the experience I have gained in public relations.

I have only been a public relations major for a year and at the beginning of the spring semester of 2010 I decided I wanted to be very involved with anything and everything PR related I could get my hands on. I started utilizing Twitter, Facebook, other social media websites, PRSSA, CatCom, and the list goes on. Through these experiences I have gained more knowledge than I could ever imagine about public relations. I have also met some amazing people through social media and at conferences. One person in particular is Harrison Kratz. Harrison brought me onto the Kratz PR team over the summer and I have loved every minute of it. I am very fortunate to know someone like Harrison, a great individual that lives by his own moto: “Ambition Knows No Limits.” If you do not know Harrison, he has more ambition than anyone else I know. I feel honored and lucky to be able to work with such an ambitious individual!

The point I am trying to get across, and the way wonder ties into everything I just said, is I wonder where I would be right now if I had not been as motivated exactly one year ago to get involved and to gain experience. Yes there are times when I am extremely exhausted because I tend to say yes to every opportunity that crosses my path, but where would I be if I did not push myself as hard as I do? Probably not where I am today. So while I wonder how things would be different if I had decided to stick with music education, or had found a different major, I know deep down that public relations is exactly where my heart is. I have more passion for PR than I could ever dream of. While I do miss music, I wonder how my life would be at this very moment in time if I had not found, and feel in love with, public relations.

6 thoughts on “Wonder is a Wonderful Thing

1. wholly jeanne says:

oh my favorite sentences start with “what if”. welcome to #reverb10! i happen to have a home in the cashiers/lake glenville area of nc with a cullowhee mailing address! how’s that for small world. i’m the #reverb10 fairy godmother, so if you have any questions or need a hug or an extra sprinkle of my special brew magic fairy dust, you just holler.

2. ashleyfunderburk says:

Thank you Jeanne! I considered working at a country club in Cashiers this sumer actually! It really is a small world 🙂 I will definitely let you know if I have any questions!

3. Grace Boyle says:

I love how you talk about your career and learning more in terms of wonder. That makes SO much sense.

The best interns I’ve ever seen at our company, are the ones who are curious, they keep asking questions and their level of enjoyment is so tangible. Good luck to you and happy blogging 🙂

4. jonaskayla says:

Great post! I totally agree about being exhausted from saying yes to too many things. But like you they are all things I am passionate about and could never chose between. I look forward to reading more of your reverb10 posts.

5. Jessica says:

“I wonder where I would be right now if I had not been as motivated exactly one year ago to get involved and to gain experience.”

This line resonates with me so much. I would have NEVER been where I am today had I not been curious and motivated to start using Twitter and Linkedin. For me professionally, it’s been one of the best tools. This is especially true for Twitter chats like, #journchat and #u30pro.

Great post, Ashley! I can’t wait to see all the great things you will bring to the PR industry.

6. Michael Hight says:

Wonder is amazing isn’t it? I wonder all the time, what if I had not transferred to Augustana College to pursue my liberal arts degree with a communication studies major and a PR emphasis. It has been an amazing experience, and the opportunities I have had to network and meet people through school and PRSSA have allowed me to see I made the right choice for what I am passionate about.