[tweetmeme source=”amfunderburk1” http://www.URL.com%5D
Session Four: Focus on Sports
During this session, Matt Garvey discussed what goes on behind-the-scenes when promoting sports teams and events.
Matt Garvey from the Chick-fil-A Bowl:
- Know about the Graphic Design and Printing Industry. Also know about the Photography Industry to help you hire people.
- There are 4-5 people who run just the events for the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
- Work on the Chick-fil-A Bowl happens year-round for just three events. They have a $20 million dollar budget!
- Garvey says, “Plan now to develop skill sets for later on.”
- Event Management: Press Conference, Satellite Video Tour, News Release. Learn logistics and time management. You need to know every side of PR.
- “Must be able to build relationships.” PR is about relationships (writers, editors, etc.). You need face time with these people.
- You have got to be able to write! He says:
- 9 out of 10 professionals can’t write that are out there.
- You need to be able to incorporate message into the press release. Weave message (this is more of an art then a science- Garvey).
- You need to be creative!
- Garvey says hours are terrible with Sports PR. “I worked 93 days without a day off one season.” (9am- Midnight is common for hours with baseball when the team is on tour).
- Another key point he made was the number one factor in the Bowl Game:
- “#1 factor in Bowl Game= TEAMS! How highly ranked they are.”
- They have to have money to get better teams.
All in all, I had an amazing experience at PR Real World Conference 2010. I learned many valuable things about the profession I am going into that I will definitely take with me wherever I may end up. If this conference happens again next year, count me in! I will definitely encourage everyone to attend.
Sky, Amanda, Lauren, Me